Latest News

Beechwood Hockey Tournament Guernsey 2019


Beechwood Hockey Tournament Guernsey 2019 Image

The annual hockey trip to Beechwood’s tournament took place recently. Nine boys from Year V and VI accompanied by Mrs Le Neveu and Mr Smith travelled to Guernsey to take part in the Medal tournament.  Despite the early flight, the boys were very keen to start playing.  Matches were eight minutes long and they played a total of six games.

Their first match was against one of the hosts’ teams ECJS Elks.  St. George’s attacked well and had some chances in front of goal.  Most of the play was in St. George’s half and goal keeper Alf only touched it once in the whole game. However the result was a 0:0 draw.

The second game against a Guernsey Schools side also resulted in a 0:0 draw. This was a more defensive game with St. George’s goal keeper Alf making some excellent saves.  In defence both Isaac and Oscar made some crucial tackles to keep the Guernsey side at bay.

St. George’s then met another ECJS team the Eskimos.  Sebastian and Sydney made some good attacking moves from mid-field and St. George’s were rewarded with a short corner but were unable to score. Once again a goalless draw.

Next, St. George’s faced a Ladies College side made up of Year 7 and 8 girls, a few years older and bigger than our boys.  The boys were not intimidated and played with determination.  Once again goal keeper Alf made some important saves.  At the other end Oliver, Dawson and Sydney all had shots on target but luck was not on their side and the ball refused to go in. Towards the end, St George’s were tiring and the Ladies took advantage of this. A breakaway move by the girls in the final minute resulted in a 1:0 victory to them.

St George’s then faced local rivals St. Michael’s. The boys suitably re energised took the game to St. Michael’s from the first whistle.  This was in my view the teams’ best performance of the tournament.  Both Sebastian and Isaac were solid in defence and the mid-field players all linked well creating good attacking moves down both the right and left wings.  Boden, Constantin and Oliver all had chances to score but still a goal evaded St. George’s.  At one point, Mr Smith and I both jumped in the air, so convinced were we that the boys had scored, only to see the ball roll away along the goal line!  The final score in this gripping match was once again 0:0. However, the team should be pleased with this result as St. Michael's were eventually the tournament winners.

The final game was against a Guernsey Hockey club side the Leopards, a team made up of older boys. After their hard battle in the previous match the boys’ legs were tiring. Dawson still managed a couple of good attacking moves down the right wing.  The Leopards capitalised on the boys’ weariness and scored in the final minutes.

Despite coming 6th out of 7 teams, St. George’s should take heart from their performance. As a team they improved with every match, they approached every game with determination and a positive attitude and they were sporting in defeat.  Six of the team were Year V, so they will have another year to prove themselves.

In the afternoon the boys’ found some more energy and enjoyed a game of beach football on Pembroke beach, mixing up with St. Michael’s to make teams.  The boys were a pleasure to take away and behaved impeccably throughout the day, a credit both to the school and their parents. 

Report by Mrs S Le Neveu