A History of St. George's
Through almost 100 years, St. George’s has remained true to the ethos of its founder who committed to academic excellence combined with strong pastoral and moral leadership.
Fortes Fortuna Adjuvat
(Fortune Favours the Brave)
This aptly sums up the courage and commitment so often shown by its management and staff since 1929. At the heart of our independent, non-selective, co-educational prep school, kindness is at the core.
The Board of Trustees and Board of Directors have ambitious plans for the future, which will continue to secure St George’s reputation as an outstanding educational and pastoral establishment. Our pupils are our main motivation, as we commit to preparing them for life.
St. George’s was founded in 1929 by Harold Goodwin in a large Georgian terraced house in Rouge Bouillon. The School quickly established a reputation for academic excellence combined with strong pastoral and moral leadership. By 1955, the School had 62 Boarding and Day boys (and one girl!).
St. George’s was purchased by Pat Job in 1955 who was considered a far-sighted educationalist. The school moved to new premises in 1956 at St Ewolds on Trinity Hill. This large, colonial-style house provided an ideal location with its extensive grounds and greatly improved opportunities for sport.
In 1965, girls were officially admitted for the first time and by the mid-seventies the school was a thriving, co-educational, day and boarding establishment with an excellent reputation throughout the Channel Islands and beyond.
An educational charity, The Jersey Education Trust, was established to take ownership of the school and administer it for the benefit of the pupils and wider community. St. George's remains a non-profit organisation with strong community links
By 1979, with 104 pupils, St. George’s was in need of larger premises again. The School Headship was handed over to Pat Job's son Jonathon who purchased La Hague Manor, which houses St. George’s to this day. The old Manor House provides a fabulous environment for the nurturing of children, rich in history and blessed with stunning grounds extending to 35 acres.
The 1980’s proved a difficult time for St. George’s and pupil numbers fell from 145 to just 35 by 1989. Facing possible closure, it was saved by the remarkable efforts of a small group of parents led by Advocate Richard Michel and Mrs Jackie Collins.
In 1990, Trevor Clare MBE was appointed Headmaster and his tenure oversaw a remarkable transformation at St. George's. Staying true to the original ethos of the School, numbers built to a total of 144 by 1997. Trevor, and his wife Bridget, are still fondly remembered by many staff and parents for their gentle style combined with a steely determination to promote the School as a centre of excellence.
On Trevor's retirement, Charles Blackwell was appointed Headmaster and St. George’s continued to flourish with pupil numbers peaking at 229 in 2002.
St. George's brand new, purpose-built Sports Hall is officially opened by His Excellency Air Chief Marshal Sir John Cheshire, KBE, CB, Lieutenant Governor of Jersey. The hall includes space for several full size, double height, multi-purpose courts inside and out allowing a full programme sports to take place throughout the year.
Colin Moore is appointed Headmaster in 2006 and under his Headship expansion of the facilities on offer at St. George’s continued with new technology, music, ICT and science rooms being created together with an enhancement of the Nursery facilities to allow the enrolment of pupils aged 2 -3-year-olds in Little Dragons Nursery, still located within the Walled Garden today.
On 16th December 2011, La Hague Manor Property Holdings Limited purchased the Manor from Ewood Limited, as recorded in the Royal Court.
Following Colin’s departure in 2017, former Deputy Head Cormac Timothy became Headteacher bringing with him 25 years of teaching experience in locations around the world including senior positions at schools in Ireland, Bermuda and London as well as here in Jersey. Cormac is ably assisted by an experienced Senior Leadership and Teaching Team. Under his Headship, St. George’s has remained at the forefront of the latest teaching practises. Academic achievement and pastoral care remain at the heart of the school and Mr Timothy has led our reaffirmation and commitment to our core school values of Kindness, Resilience, Achievement and Responsibility.
St. George's reopens its onsite swimming pool, now with all-weather cover, allowing pupils to learn water safety and improve their swimming technique throughout the year.
Like the rest of the world, the effects of the Coronavirus pandemic and island-wide lock-downs mean that St. George's closes its physical doors and opens its virtual school. Pupils' last day in school before the first lock-down is Friday 20th March 2020. 'Virtual St. George's' begins on Monday 23rd March. Teachers keep in touch with the children with daily update videos, zoom classes, online schooling, social media and phone calls. The special St. George's community pull together like never before.
The longed-for day arrives. In bubbles, and with a focus always on safety for all, St. George's opens its doors again for face-to-face (socially distanced) lessons. We are all so grateful to be together again.
Through almost 100 years, St. George’s has remained true to the ethos of its founder who committed to academic excellence combined with strong pastoral and moral leadership. The School’s motto: Fortes Fortuna Adjuvat (Fortune Favours the Brave) aptly sums up the courage and commitment so often shown by its management and staff since 1929. At the heart of our independent, non-selective, co-educational prep school, kindness is at the core.
The Board of Trustees and Board of Directors have ambitious plans for the future, which will continue to secure St George’s’ reputation as an outstanding educational and pastoral establishment. Our pupils are our driving force, as we commit to preparing the children for life.