The History of the Manor House
Little is known of the origins of the Manor but the original fief, (an estate of land granted by the crown) may have been in existence as early as 1060 and at one stage was owned by Onfroi de la Hague. It stayed with the de la Hague family until the 1400s, and then was acquired by the Mallets. The estate was then passed to the de Carteret family and in 1747 to Thomas Le Breton. Le Breton rebuilt the house into the fine granite manor that stands today.
Henry Pipon (Thomas’ descendant) sold it to Col Le Cornu in 1871, who added the tower, the dormer windows and the entrance porch and a billiards room. The interior was remodelled and a large elegant drawing room was built together with the main hall with its imposing staircase.
Col Le Cornu began an arboretum, planting and replanting in the grounds to establish a number of walkways and terraces, which today comprise some of the most impressive woodland areas on the Island including a number of rare or specimen trees. Such is their beauty and importance that the School works with the Jersey Tourism Development Fund and the Countryside Development Scheme to preserve and enhance the grounds and, where possible, make them available to members to the public.
La Hague Manor became home to St George’s in 1979 and its large rooms were easily adapted into general classrooms. A modern Sports Hall was added in the 1990’s, the swimming pool is to be refurbished shortly whilst the Manor’s walled garden has been restored to include a safe playground for the younger children. The outhouses overlooking the walled garden have been converted into two classrooms for the Little Dragons Nursery whilst the Columbier now forms an unusual backdrop for the School’s music classes.
The School purchased the Manor and the 35 acres of landscaped gardens in 2011 and as owner and Seigneur of one of the Island’s major fiefs, is each year required to re-affirm its allegiance to the Queen at the annual Assise d’heritage, possibly the oldest land court in Europe. The School was delighted to receive confirmation in 2015 that the Manor has been listed as a Grade II building recognising its importance to the Island’s built heritage and fully intends to maintain and enhance the Manor and grounds for future generations of schoolchildren and the Jersey public at large.